Joy and Beauty (A Mother's Day Hallmark eCard) + my process!

Tuesday, April 28, 2015


Ready for Mother’s Day? Here’s an advance delivery of a flower bouquet made specially for all the mommies out there! (PS This is also a sneak peek of my new Mother’s Day eCard for Hallmark!)

Sneak peek of a Mother's Day eCard animation by Jeca Martinez

My Process: Storyboard

Hallmark wanted an eCard for a Mother's Day poem they wrote, and they had this concept in mind of a camera panning around the exterior of a house while natural elements such as flowers and clouds form the words. Below is the approved storyboard for the eCard:

Storyboard for a Mother's Day eCard animation by Jeca Martinez
(click to enlarge)

Backgrounds and Style Frames

Before I render my backgrounds I like to make quick color compositions of my illustrations so I can immediately see how the colors will work with each other.

This is a super useful tip I learned from one of my favorite YouTube artists Leilani Joy in this blog post of hers. I swear this has saved me a lot of time and effort compared to adjusting colors after all the textures and details are already in.

I also like to do style frames which is a more polished "preview" of how one frame of the animation could look like. This lets me experiment with different art styles and see which look works best with the animation.

From sketch to color comp to final:

Progress shots of a Mother's Day eCard animation by Jeca Martinez

Then comes my favorite part of the process:

Animation!

Ever since I animated a few growing plants and flowers in my previous ¡Feliz Cumpleaños! eCard I've wanted to try this effect in a bigger scale; this Mother's Day eCard couldn't have come at a more perfect time!

Below are progress shots of the leaf and bird animations. Since they both needed to be done frame-by-frame, I animated these two in Flash then imported them as SWF files in After Effects where I animated majority of the eCard (After Effects Puppet Tool is ~*magic*~).

WIP of a Mother's Day eCard animation by Jeca Martinez WIP of a Mother's Day eCard animation by Jeca Martinez

-------
I really do hope you enjoy this card and that you find this post helpful! I've been trying something different on my blog lately by sharing my process and insights in how I make my work.

If there's anything else you'd like to see on this blog don't forget to leave a comment below!

Also check out Hallmark eCards for some more cards by other artists--they make for a perfect touch to your Mother's Day celebration!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram @JecaMartinezArt